Ivánka family in the Hungarian history

Ivánka Ida, the wife of Kaas C. Eduard lies in the central tomb of the Family Cemetery in Farmos. She was born on Szemeréd, 8th of May, 1813. (She died in Budapest, 23rd of November, 1891) Her father, Ivánka László (1782-1819) was the chief constable of country Hont, her mother Péchy Petronella (1791- 1846) Her brother, Ivánka Imre (1810- 1896) was the colonel of the national army in the war of independence against Austria in 1848-49. After the war he was sent to the prison of Königratz for one year. Later, after the compromise of 1867 with Austria he became the perpetual member of the House of Lords; and also he founded the Hungarian Red Cross and was the first president of this organization. What is interesting in relation to the history of the Cemetery, he was the witness of his sister Kaas Melanie – married by Matolcsy Károly – on their wedding held on 23rd of October, 1860 in Tápiószele (next village to Farmos, 4 km). The Ivánka family owned » 6000 hectares land in this district, so Kaas C. Eduard married into a very rich Hungarian family.

The Ivánka family is one of the oldest noble Hungarian families. The ancestors are well documented back to 1251, but the family legend goes back to the beginning of the 13th century. András, the 2nd, Hungarian king from the House of Árpád led a crusade in 1217-1218 to the Holy Land to set free Jerusalem from the Arabs. There were six warriors in his army, namely: György, János, Miklós, Ivánka, Jakab and Lõrinc, the sons of Ivánka from the stem Erden. In a battle against Arabs two of them died (Jakab and Lõrinc) and Ivánka saved the life of king András when he fell into the river Jordan with his horse, wearing heavy armoured coat of mail. King András, expressing his gratefulness gave nobility to Ivánka and his three brothers. The title of nobility of the Ivánka family is “Draskóczi és Jordánföldi” (where Jordánföld means “the land of Jordan) and according to the family legend this reflects to the heroism of Ivánka in this battle.

It is an interesting story about the reason, why the Ivánka family is well documented back, up to the mid of 1200’s. In the mid of the 14th century the false letters of possession increased in number, many false land trading contracts and letters became known in the neighbour counties Túrócz and Liptó. These false documents were prepared by “János deák” using false seals as well. The falsifier was arrested and finally executed. The king Nagy Lajos (Lajos the great) sent Bebek Imre, the palatine of Hungary into these two counties to check the originality of all the possession documents and letters, revise them and collect them into an official list. This revision of the noble lands and possessions was in 1391. Similar action never and nowhere happened in Hungary in the middle age.

The nobility of the Ivánka family was recognised by the king Béla the 4th (also from the House of Árpád) in 1251, giving lands to Kopasz (baldhead) Ivánka Péter, descendant of the noble Husz-Pázmán clan in the county Túrócz (north part of Hungary, so called “Felvidék”) and this donation letter is the first existing document of the Ivánka family. The second letter of donation had been issued also by Béla the 4th in 1262 giving some more lands in the district of Draskócz and Jordánfalva (two villages in county Túrócz) Very likely this is the origin of the title of nobility of the Ivánka family, and not the river Jordan.



Next article >>>